|Metropolitan Beer and Wine Trades Asylum||Southwark|
The Metropolitan Beer and Wine Trades Asylum was designed by William Webb and built on Nunhead Green in 1852/3, the foundation stone laid in 1852 by Lord Monteagle. The almshouses were established by the Metropolitan Beer and Wine Trades Society. Set back from the roadway behind a brick stone-capped wall, the almshouses have a small area of front garden with lawn and a few trees, with a central path leading from the entrance gate.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Clive Berridge, the Almshouses of London (Southampton), 1987; Southwark Listed Buildings data