This is a remnant of the old village green of the hamlet of Nunhead. Development of the area was underway by 1840 when the Nunhead Cemetery was built and in 1865 the Lord of the Manor attempted to claim absolute possession of Peckham Rye, which included Nunhead and Goose Greens. This was contested by the parishioners and resulted in Camberwell Vestry purchasing his rights and all three areas were then transferred to the MBW in 1882. By 1905 Nunhead Green had become a tar-paved playground, although this was later replaced by grass, and as it does now consisted of two areas, a larger area separated by a roadway from a small detached area at the south-west end.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This is a remnant of the old village green at Nunhead. By the C18th there was a hamlet here and the C17th Nun's Head tavern with its tea gardens and other recreational facilities attracted visitors. Urbanisation of the area was underway by 1840 when Nunhead Cemetery (q.v.) was built. In 1865 the Lord of the Manor attempted to claim absolute possession of Peckham Rye, which included Nunhead and Goose Greens but this was contested by the parishioners and resulted in Camberwell Vestry purchasing his rights. All three areas were then transferred to the MBW in 1882 and later passed to the LCC. Overlooking the Green is the Metropolitan Beer and Wine Trades Asylum (q.v.), which contrinbutes to the village atmosphere. The first edition OS map showed Nunhead Green consisting as it does now of two areas, a larger lozenge shaped area separated by a roadway from a small detached area at the south-west end, this latter now a low raised grassed area with two small trees as a result of a renovation project. By 1905 Nunhead Green had become a tar-paved playground with a few shrubberies. The OS of 1950 showed trees only at each end of the lozenge and on the small detached area and it is not known when the tarmac was replaced by grass.
The larger area of the green was divided into two distinct parts in 2002, and further re-landscaping took place under Southwark's Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy, with new layout, railings, picnic tables, path and perimeter trees. A railed dog area to the north was planted with a rose hedge and shrubs along the northern railings, with trees along the railings to the main road.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); London Parks and Open Spaces, London County Council 1924; The Parks Agency 'Commons, Heaths and Greens in Greater London. A short report for English Heritage', 2005