|Russia Dock Woodland||Southwark|
Russia Dock was once was part of the Surrey Commercial Docks created in 1864 when the various companies owning Rotherhithe's C19th commercial docks amalgamated. Surrey Docks came to cover over 185 hectares, and was particularly important for imported timber. The Docks were finally closed in 1969; the linear wooded park was created by LB Southwark in 1980 from the former Russia Dock basin and part of the old canal wall and boat moorings are still visible. It contains a water feature that connects streams, a canal and lagoon, and two ponds. Numerous species of trees and shrubs were planted.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southwark.gov.uk/parks; www.russiadockwood.ukfriends.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Following a gradual deterioration of the park, funding was awarded for improvements by LB Southwark in 2001 and a steering group of local residents and Council officers was set up to address the overgrown state of the park, and repair need for the bridges, security, lighting, water features and signage. Friends of Russia Dock Woodland was set up in 2003 and in July 2009 the park was awarded a Green Flag and later in the same year the London Tree and Woodland Award.
John Archer, Bob Britton, Robert Burley, Tony Hare, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Southwark' Ecology Handbook 12, London Ecology Unit, 1989;