|All Saints Churchyard, Benhilton||Sutton|
All Saints is a large and prominently positioned church at the foot of Angel Hill, which forms a landmark in this area. The parish of Benhilton was created in 1863 to serve the growing population of Sutton. The land and a sum of money was donated by Thomas Alcock, Lord of the Manor, who was developing his land to the east for upper class housing. All Saints' Churchyard surrounds the church, and is now closed to burials. There are a number of historically significant tombs in the churchyard, which is well planted with trees, and has yews along the path to the north porch.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The parish of Benhilton was created in 1863 when the expansion of the local population in Sutton necessitated a separate church. The foundation stone of the new church, which was designed by architect S.S. Teulon, was laid in the same year. Thomas Alcock, Lord of the Manor, gave £18,000 towards the building, together with the land for the church, vicarage and a school. The church was undoubtedly intended to be a key amenity for Benhilton Estate, an area of upper class housing that Alcock was developing to the east. All Saints' Church was badly damaged in WWII but it was later restored.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; LB Sutton Heritage website