|All Saints Churchyard, Carshalton||Sutton|
In a prominent position overlooking Carshalton Ponds, All Saints is the medieval church of the ancient parish of Carshalton, recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, but it may be considerably older. The substantial churchyard was extended in the south in the late C19th and again in 1915 and 1937.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The medieval church of All Saints was extended between 1890 and 1910, which included a new nave and north aisle designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and his nephew Reginald 1891-1893. The baptistery at the west end was added after 1910. Memorials in the church include those to prominent local people including Sir William Scawen, a wealthy London financier who owned Carshalton Park (q.v.) in the early C18th; and Sir John Fellowes, a Sub Governor of the South Sea Company. Fellowes was heavily involved in the speculative mania known as the South Sea Bubble, as a result of which he forfeited his estate at Carshalton. Another tomb commemorates Nicholas Gaynesford and his wife Margaret Sidney, who lived at the time of the Wars of the Roses, Gaynesford changing sides when the need arose.
The substantial churchyard is now closed to burial. Additions were made in the late C19th and in 1915 and 1937 with land from Carshalton Park (q.v.). It is in two parts, the northern part fronting Carshalton Ponds with an engine house, while the southern part is the historic old churchyard and later extensions. The 1st edition OS map of 1867 shows the site as at present without the C20th additions.
Anne Boleyn's Well is close by the churchyard wall, but the story of its origin is implausible: a spring is said to have burst from the ground when Anne Boleyn's horse kicked against a stone as she rode from Carew Manor to Nonsuch Palace; Anne was executed before Nonsuch Palace was built. The name may arise from 'bullen' meaning bubbling; the spring is shown on the Arundel map of Carshalton of c.1610-20.
LB Sutton Heritage website; Ian Yarwood, Richard Barnes, Bob Britton, Nature Conservation in Sutton, Ecology Handbook 22, London Ecology Unit, 1993;Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p645