|Beddington Park and The Grange, including Carew Manor||Sutton|
The site includes Beddington Park and The Grange, once part of the substantial estate owned from the C14th by the influential Carew family, whose connection with Beddington continued for 4 centuries. Beddington Park was part of the deer park attached to Carew Manor. In the C16th Sir Francis Carew laid out elaborate gardens, fragments of which remain. The estate lands were being sold off for housing development from the late 1860s, and Beddington & Wallington UDC purchased land between 1904-27, part of which became the public park. The Carew Manor House is now Carew Manor School. In 1935 the UDC acquired The Grange and its ornamental gardens, laid out by Alfred Smee from 1850. The lake, originally a mill pond, and trees planted by Smee remain today.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Beddington Park - Carew Manor - Photo: Colin Wing
Click photo to enlarge.
There is evidence of early settlement in Beddington in the late Bronze Age, a Saxon cemetery has been found here, and the hamlet is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The north part of the public park was possibly the site of a Roman villa and bath house, and a Roman stone coffin was discovered in 1930. Carew Manor House was built in the Tudor period for the influential Carew family.The Carew estate once occupied most of the land between Mitcham Common (q.v.), Beddington Lane to the east, Croydon Road to the south and London Road to the west. Laid out in the C16th, Sir Francis Carew's gardens at Beddington were famous into the C17th, and included waterworks and an orangery, said to be the first in England. Although the gardens have now gone there are some remnants including C17th and C18th portions of a long orangery wall with blank arcading divided into pairs by pilasters on the north face. In the grounds an old water mill and its mill pond have been retained as a water feature, and a dovecote dating from the early C18th also survives. The western section of the area by Riverside Walk (q.v.) includes the bank and conduit system associated with the early C18th garden landscape of Sir Nicholas Carew 1st Baron. From the 1860s the estate lands began to be sold off for housing development, and acquisitions of land for the public park took place between 1904 and 1927. During WWII Beddington Park was used for allotments for the Dig for Victory campaign. Today the park has areas of bedding plants and meadowland. It lost a number of trees during the storms of 1987 and 1990 and some replanting has been undertaken.
The Grange is an ornamental garden created on the north side of Mill Pond by Alfred Smee FRS (1818-1877), surgeon to the Bank of England, who purchased the site in c.1850. The garden was very fashionable in the 1860s and the plan and details are recorded in his book 'My Garden: its Plan and Culture' (1872). The house was built in the garden by Smee's son Alfred Hutchinson Smee in c.1880. In 1935 The Grange was purchased by Beddington & Wallington UDC at a cost of £57,500, and the gardens became public. The house was used for a number of purposes including a clinic, a library and a venue for wedding receptions. It was destroyed by fire in 1960 and rebuilt in 1967, and later became a restaurant. The original rockery survives in a diminished state but most of the garden including the pergola and lily pond is late C20th.
LB Sutton Heritage notes (John Phillips); Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Alfred Smee, 'My Garden: its Plan and Culture',1872; LB Sutton Archive, locally listed buildings.