|Holy Trinity Church, Wallington||Sutton|
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1867-9 at the instigation of Nathanial Bridges, Lord of the Manor of Wallington, who began to develop his lands as the area to the south was rapidly being built up around Wallington. He provided the embryonic settlement with a new church dedicated to his father's memory who had died in 1865. Around the church are cobble walls and yew trees, and the church and parsonage are in a landscaped setting, with yew trees spaced close together in an arc respecting the south-east curve of the church apse, inside a partially demolished curving boulder wall. The trees may date from the original planting of the 1860s; the whole of the south frontage of the church is shown planted with trees in a photograph of 1903.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Nathanial Bridges and his father John (d.1865) were staunch Anglicans, providing new local schools and attending to Wallington's inhabitants. Bridges, observing the rapid development further south towards Wallington (then Carshalton) station, decided to develop his lands for suburban housing immediately after his father's death, but first provided the embryonic settlement with a new church dedicated to his father's memory. In November 1866 Samuel Simpson was contracted to build the church for £3,955, which was to be completed by July 1867 when it was handed over to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was designed by E Loftus Brock, architect and surveyor to Nathanial Bridges. By 1870 the Parsonage was built by the same builder and architects, costing £1650, and it shares characteristics found on other houses of the estate Bridges built from 1867 -1881. By 2004, re-landscaping had taken place as part of refurbishment of the church and its environment.
LB Sutton Heritage website