Honeywood Lodge is in the centre of Carshalton village overlooking Carshalton Ponds. Built around the core of a C17th house, and added to in later years, it was purchased by Carshalton UDC in 1939 and is now the borough Heritage Centre. There are public gardens to the south west of the building.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Honeywood Lodge was built around the core of an earlier C17th house with later additions including major extensions of 1896 and 1903 when it was owned by John Pattinson Kirk, a London merchant. It overlooks the west side of Carshalton Ponds (q.v.). The earliest surviving part is a small chalk and flint chequer-work building incorporated into the centre of the present house. An early C17th map of Carshalton shows the house site crossed by streams flowing from a line of springs along the edge of Pound Street, just within the present garden, so it is possible that the original building was initially a cold bath or a mill. In 1939 Carshalton UDC purchased Honeywood and the house was used for various social and community activities. In 1989/90 it was converted into the borough's Heritage Centre and now houses local history displays. It is on the opposite side of the road facing The Grove Park (q.v.) in the centre of Carshalton. Carshalton Ponds are fed by the springs of Margaret's Pool (q.v.), and then flows, culverted, under the house into the upper pond.
English Heritage Listing Register; LB Sutton Heritage website