|Oaks Park and Oaks Sports Centre Golf Course||Sutton|
From 1771-1834 The Oaks was the seat of the Earls of Derby who used it as a base for horse racing. Two famous Epsom races, The Oaks and The Derby were conceived here and first run in 1779 and 1780, named after the house and the 12th Earl respectively. The house was demolished by 1960 but a number of outbuildings survive and the extensive parkland retains the framework of the park created in the 1770s. It is now partly a public park and partly sports centre and golf course. with many mature and semi mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
There was a house here from the C16th or earlier, which was rebuilt in the mid C18th, an Italianate villa probably built for the banker Thomas Gosling and designed by the architect Sir Robert Taylor. The 12th Earl of Derby later owned the house, employing Robert Adam to rebuild it although this was never completed. His grandson, the 13th Earl, had the property until 1834. The parkland was laid out for the 12th Earl in the 1770s and it may have been influenced by Capability Brown who worked at the Earl's Knowsley estate in St Helens, Merseyside in 1775/6. The Oaks was demolished between 1957-60 but its site is visible as a platform to the east of the old buildings that remain. These include the bake-house of c.1870, which has been restored by Friends of Oaks Park, stables and a few outbuildings, the kitchen garden walls and a grotto-like structure. The Friends of Oaks Park was set up in 1997 and works in partnership with Sutton Council to promote the park, improve its amenities, and also undertakes projects from tree planting and spring bulb planting to maintenance of park benches.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993) 'The London Encyclopaedia', Macmillan, 1993; LB Sutton Heritage website