Revesby Wood is the remains of old woodland to the north west of St Helier Open Space with mature oaks and other trees. The 1st edition OS map of 1867 shows woodland here as today. Some new planting has taken place in recent years. It is within the large St Helier Estate, which was built by the LCC from 1929-38.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Helier Estate was the largest LCC estate to be built south of the river and spans the boroughs of Sutton and Merton. The estate was named after Lady Susan Mary St Helier, Councillor and LCC Alderman of from 1910-1927 who had campaigned for the improvement of housing facilities in London. It is one of a number of important LCC cottage estates inspired by the Garden City movement encouraged by Sir Ebenezer Howard and the pioneering town planning of Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin whose common characteristic is small-scale housing, often with excellent detailing, cul-de-sacs, generous verges and communal open spaces.