Sutton Cemetery was established in 1889 and retains the original boundary walls and Gothic chapel. Prior to this the area was open fields and farmland. The first burial took place that year, and among the more unusual monuments is a bronze harp within granite for Anna Sabatini (d.1929) and a headstone commemorating five munitions workers who died at the nearby Brocks factory in WWI.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery's Gothic-style chapel was designed by E W Crickmay. A new mortuary has been erected by the entrance, and here bedding schemes are intact. The earliest grave noted is 1889 and among those buried here are Joseph Rank (d.1943), father of J Arthur Rank; Sir Edward Holland, High Sheriff of Surrey in 1931; and Lord Ebbisham of Cobham (d.1953), Lord Mayor of London in 1926/7, MP for Epsom from 1918-28 and Treasurer of Barnardo's Homes.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)