|Holland Estate Residents' Garden||Tower Hamlets|
The Holland Estate consists of former LCC and Tower Hamlets Council housing in the Spitalfields area built from 1927 onwards. Among the interwar buildings are three 4-storey Neo-Georgian blocks, Carter House, Brune House and Bernard House, ranged around a courtyard garden with a fourth 3-storey building, Barnett House in the centre facing onto Bell Lane. This communal garden is now Holland Estate Residents' Garden, which was refurbished in spring 2010 with part-funding under Section 106 from LB Tower Hamlets. The garden consists of areas of lawn and paving, raised beds and a number of trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.eastsendhomes.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
By the mid-C19th this area suffered from severe over-crowding and in the interwar years the LCC had begun building what became the Holland Estate. The earliest buildings are Brune, Bernard and Carter Houses all dating from 1927, followed by Barnett House (1933), Herbert and Jacobson Houses (1935) and Wheler House (1937). After World War II more accommodation was built over the decades, including Denning Point in 1967 and New Wentworth Dwellings in 1987. In October 2006 the 11 blocks that made up the Holland Estate were formally transferred to Eastend Homes by LB Tower Hamlets, and an estate-wide regeneration scheme was drawn up, gaining full planning permission in April 2010. The whole estate is being brought to Decent Homes standards as well as being improved in terms of access, security, refuse management and general landscaping. The residents' garden was part of this scheme, which included other external works such as improved landscaping and communal areas.
Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005 p411.