|Jesus Green||Tower Hamlets|
Jesus Green is a triangular 'garden square' formed when the GLC compulsorily purchased the former Jesus Hospital's estate of the 1860s. Part of the estate was cleared to lay out the green space, which remains flanked on all sides by C19th ranges of modest terraced houses. The garden has a central circular path and transverse paths, and is largely laid to grass with scattered trees and peripheral shrub planting. It is surrounded by metal railings joining ponderous brick piers at the corners.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.towerhamlets.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Jesus Hospital's Estate was laid out between 1862 and 1868, designed by Henry Robert Abraham, and provided for the working classes. Many of these streets of well-designed two-storey terraced houses have been preserved as a result of the GLC's purchase of the estate in 1979, although in 1986 the housing was sold to private developers.
Bacon. Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005