|London Wall Gardens||Tower Hamlets|
London Wall Gardens is an area of public open space adjacent to Tower Hill underground station, flanked by the best preserved fragment of the Roman City Wall, which runs c.68m from Trinity Place. To the west of the Roman Wall the ground level is lower, representing ground level in Roman times and within this area is a C19th composite statue based on two ancient monuments, with the head of Roman Emperor Trajan (AD98-117) and the body of Emperor Augustus.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.english-heritage.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Statue, London Wall Gardens, April 2010. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Tower Hill underground station opened in 1987, built on the site of the former Tower of London underground station, which operated from 1882 but was closed in 1884. Tower Hill station replaced a station with the same name, but which had earlier been called Mark Lane and had been slightly farther west. The statue in London Wall Gardens was presented by the Tower Hill Improvement Trust at the request of the founder of TocH, the Rev Clayton of All Hallows by the Tower (q.v.). Near this is mounted an inscription plaque, a replica of London's earliest inscribed monument part of which was found in Trinity Place in 1852 when a Roman bastion was being excavated, and a further section not unearthed until 1935 when The Crescent to the north was excavated. It commemorates Gaius Julius Alpinus Classicianus, Procurator of the Province of Britain 61-65AD 'by his action the province was pacified without vindictive reprisals after the destruction of London during the revolt of Queen Boadicea and the Iceni' and these words were carved on his funeral monument erected in the neighbouring Roman cemetery by his wife Julia Pacata.
Information boards on site; Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.)