|Wapping Pierhead||Tower Hamlets|
Either side of the original lock entrance at the Pier Head at Wapping are fine Georgian houses that were built for officials of the London Docks Company in 1811-13, designed by Daniel Asher Alexander. The locks were too small for ships then in use by the 1930s and in 1963 the London Docks closed. Today the houses are fronted by pleasant riverside gardens, railed with grass and mature trees, which were created after the Pierhead was infilled.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Wapping Pierhead, February 2000. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
The entrance to the lock here was designed by John Rennie, engineer, and opened in 1805. The London Docks Company specialised in handling goods in the wine and spirit trade and by 1925 the Port of London Authority that owned the London Docks handled over 9m gallons of imported wine. It was reputedly at Wapping Old Steps that Judge Jeffries was caught trying to escape to France after James II abdicated. By the 1930s the locks were too small for the ships then in use and the Wapping entrance lock was filled in during the 1960s, the London Docks closing in 1963. By 1969 the London Docks had been built over and properties such as these had become highly desirable residences. Today the houses are fronted by pleasant private gardens, railed and with grass and mature trees.
LB Tower Hamlets 'Wapping Pierhead Conservation Area Character Appraisal and. Management Guidelines', 2009. Postcard of the month no 8, January 2001 on www.eastlondonpostcard.co.uk