|Chingford Green||Waltham Forest|
Chingford Green, unlike other former rural hamlets in the area, retains some sense of its earlier atmosphere. In 1844 the parish church of St Peter and St Paul was built on the Green, and a few C18th and C19th buildings still overlook the green. The area remained rural until housing development took place largely as a result of the arrival of the railway in the late C19th and by the 1920s suburban housing replaced Chingford's fields.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Until the C19th there was a scattered farming community in the area around Chingford, which lay within the ancient Forest of Essex. By the late C18th there were hamlets at Chingford Green, Low Street and Chingford Hatch, each a mile or so from the parish church of All Saints (q.v.) on Chingford Mount. Chingford Green became the most important of these and was where the new church of St Peter and St Paul (q.v.) was established in 1844 although the area remained rural until the C20th.The Great Eastern Railway arrived in the late C19th and housing proliferated and by the 1920s suburban housing replaced Chingford's fields. Chingford had been part of Essex until 1965 when it was incorporated into the new borough of Waltham Forest.
There are a number of old buildings near the Green, including the remains of the stable block of an early C18th pub, The King’s Head to the west of the Green. From 1805-1840 the Manorial Courts of Chingford St Pauls were held in the King's Head. Another Edwardian pub is the Bull and Crown, south of the Green. The early C19th Carbis Cottage to the north of the Green is the last surviving weather-boarded cottage in Chingford. Kilgreana and The Lodge to the south-west were once one house, Chingford Lodge, the residence of William Mellish who built a sporting establishment here and between 1798 and 1806 kept a pack of staghounds on the Green. In 1859 four almshouses were built on The Green, probably taking the place of earlier almshouses here, and a fifth was built in 1887.
The Green today is an open green space, largely grass with perimeter trees, benches, and lamp posts along the tarmac path that borders the churchyard wall. There is a small area of shrub planting at the east end of the green.
Chingford Green Conservation Area leaflet (LB Waltham Forest, n.d.); Victoria County History: Revd Canon J L Fisher ' History of Chingford', 1966