|Coronation Gardens Extension||Waltham Forest|
Coronation Gardens Extension came into being in the 1920s when Leyton UDC wished to add to the facilities of the existing Coronation Gardens. Lying across Oliver Road from the more formal landscaping of Coronation Gardens, the Extension provided recreation and sports facilities on former Lammas land, which was acquired piecemeal by the Council from 1904 on. After WWII, people who had lost their homes through bombing were provided with temporary housing built on nine of the tennis courts of Coronation Gardens Extension, with the proviso that the land would be returned to its original state when no longer needed. As a result this area was fenced off and used in this way until 1954. Leyton Orient Football Club had temporary offices on the Extension in 1956 and free use of the tennis courts while their new stadium was built close by.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Council Minutes in October 1923 record agreement for the provision of a new bowling green with shelter, tennis courts and a croquet lawn, the turf to come from Cumberland, and in 1924 the Unemployed Grants Committee provided 60% of the employment costs for the works, providing local unemployed people were used.
Nigel Sadler,' A Brief History of the Site & Park', LB Waltham Forest Vestry House Museum (no date); Victoria County History of Essex; Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster' (Hodder & Stoughton, 1972)