|Larkswood Park and Larkswood Playing Fields||Waltham Forest|
Larkswood Park includes part of the ancient woodland of Larks Wood, and has fine oak and hornbeam trees. Larkswood was owned in c.1920 by Charles Roper, a dairy farmer who also owned Highams Park and Hale End cricket grounds. Larkswood Park was created by Chingford Borough Council in 1936, at which time an open air pool 'with accommodation for 2,500 bathers' was provided, built on the site of Larks Farm at a cost of £24,000. Designed for racing and water polo, it was considered one of the finest open-air pools in the country and was opened on 28 July 1936 by Sir Kingsley Wood, Minister of Health. However, in 1987 the pool was finally closed.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Friends of Ainslie Wood and Larks Wood was formed in December 2004. Both woods have oak, hornbeam and the rarer wild service tree. Also some hazel, crab-apple, field maple, hawthorne, blackthorn and rowan can be seen around the woods. Larks Wood is also home to some beech and a few wild cherry trees.
Victoria County History of Essex; Chingford Notes; Robert Burley, Meg Game, Mathew Frith 'Nature Conservation in Waltham Forest', Ecology Handbook 11 (London Ecology Unit, 1989)