|Pimp Hall Nature Reserve||Waltham Forest|
Pimp Hall Nature Reserve is on the former land of the C16th Pimps Hall, gardens and farm. In c.1270 it was part of a new manor created near the edge of the Royal Forest of Waltham consisting of 250 acres of farmland, woods, and hedgerows. The name derives from Reynold Pympe who was lord of the manor in 1500. The Hall was used as a working farm until 1934, when it was bought by Chingford Council and the site divided between allotments, a small park and a council-run nursery, the latter later established as Pimp Hall Nature Reserve. This nature reserve includes the C17th dovecote and has the former sites of the Hall and Barn marked out on the ground in gravel.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Pimp Hall Nature Reserve is on the site of the C16th Pimps Hall, gardens and farm. In c.1270 it was part of a new manor created near the edge of the Royal Forest of Waltham consisting of 250 acres of farmland, woods, and hedgerows. It was at various times known as the manor of Gowers and Buckerells, or Pimps, after different tenants. The name Pimp Hall originates from Reynold Pympe who was lord of the manor in 1500. In 1538 the manor was owned by Sir George Monoux, one-time Lord Mayor of London and a benefactor in the area, responsible for founding a school and almshouses in Walthamstow village, next to St Mary’s Church (q.v.). He sold the estate to the King who soon after Monoux's death sold it into private hands once again. The timber-framed Hall was probably built at the end of the C16th and it was used as a working farm until 1934, when it was bought by Chingford Council and the site divided between allotments, a council-run nursery, and a small park, Pimp Hall Park (q.v.). Pimp Hall farmhouse became derelict and was gradually demolished between 1936 and 1939. The C17th timber-framed barn in the farmyard survived until it was blown down in gales in January 1990, but the C17th dovecote is still standing. The dovecote, also a timber-framed building, has 5 tiers of nesting holes catering for some 250 nests.
The area where the dovecote is sited has been turned into a Nature Reserve and the sites of the Hall and Barn have been marked out on the ground in gravel. The aim of the Nature Reserve has been to re-create a small area of natural landscape, with some feeling of the former farmlands with grass areas and woodland. A few mature trees survive including yew, oak and willow. It was winner of the Wild Flower and Environment Trophy in 1997.
Victoria County History of Essex; LB Waltham Forest Noticeboard on site