|Pimp Hall Park||Waltham Forest|
Pimp Hall Park is on the former land of the C16th Pimps Hall, gardens and farm. In c.1270 it was part of a new manor created near the edge of the Royal Forest of Waltham consisting of 250 acres of farmland, woods, and hedgerows. The name derives from Reynold Pympe who was lord of the manor in 1500. The Hall was used as a working farm until 1934, when it was bought by Chingford Council and the site divided between allotments, a council-run nursery, and this small park, which is predominantly an open grassed space with fine views over Chingford.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
At various times it was known as the manor of Gowers and Buckerells, or the manor of Pimps, after different tenants. The name Pimp originates from Reynold Pympe who was lord of the manor in 1500. In 1538 it was owned by Sir George Monoux, one-time Lord Mayor of London and a major benefactor in the area responsible for founding a school and almshouses in Walthamstow village, next to St Mary’s Church (q.v.). He sold the estate to the King who soon after Monoux's death sold it into private hands once again. The timber-framed Hall was probably built at the end of the C16th and it was used as a working farm until 1934 when it was bought by Chingford Council and the site divided between allotments, a council-run nursery, and this small park which was laid out in 1934 as a recreation ground. The old Hall and outbuildings were sited in the area which became the nursery, which has recently become Pimp Hall Nature Reserve (q.v.). Pimp Hall Park has little planting aside from trees along part of its perimeter, and it is predominantly an open grassed space but with fine views over Chingford.
Victoria County History of Essex, LB Waltham Forest Nature Reserve information board