|Queen's Road Cemetery||Waltham Forest|
Queen's Road Cemetery opened in October 1872 and is on a roughly rectangular site bought for £5,000 by the Walthamstow Burial Board, who then invited six architects to submit designs that were to include two chapels with an entrance lodge, fence and gates at a cost ‘not to exceed £2,250’. R.C. Sutton of Nottingham gained the contract and his buildings survive: two ragstone gothic chapels joined at a right-angle by a porte-cochère set at the centre of an axial layout, and an Inquest Room as an adjunct to the Lodge, which is still a Coroner's Court. The cemetery has a ragstone wall along its boundary with Queen's Road, topped with ornamental spiked railings. There is one mausoleum and some good C19th tombs closely spaced, with a few large holly trees and small flowering cherry trees flanking the long central avenue. The cemetery is now full, except for the re-opening of family plots.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.walthamforest.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/walthamstow-cemetery-queens-road
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)