|St John the Baptist Churchyard||Waltham Forest|
St John the Baptist Church was built in 1833 to serve the needs of this part of the parish of Leyton, and in 1848 became the parish church when the parish of Leytonstone was formed. William Cotton, who paid for the church to be built, is buried in the churchyard. Also buried here are the members of the Buxton family who lived at Leytonstone House. The churchyard is now closed to burials. The entrance is through fine iron gates, leading to a circular gravelled drive in front of the church with a central planted bed; steps with low handrails lead up to church. The churchyard is surrounded by old iron railings to the road boundaries, with a wall at the back of the churchyard and contains a few headstones set in grass, and a number of trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Leyton by the Stone existed as a hamlet by the C14th and became part of the parish of Leyton. St John the Baptist Church was designed by architect Edward Blore and paid for by William Cotton, who is buried in the churchyard. Cotton was Director of the Bank of England, and the inventor of an automatic machine for weighing sovereigns with great accuracy. A philanthropist and advocate of education, Cotton was the first person to stop the practice of paying wages by orders on a public house.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Arthur Mee, 'The King's England, London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster', (Hodder & Stoughton, 1972)