|All Saints Churchyard, Wandsworth||Wandsworth|
All Saints Church stands on an important historic site, marking the old medieval centre of Wandsworth Town, which grew up by a river crossing of the River Wandle near where it joined the Thames and Wandsworth High Street follows the old road. The medieval church was largely rebuilt in 1779-80 by William Jupp, later altered in 1841 when the upper part of the west tower was added to the bottom storey of 1630. Further works took place in 1859 and again in 1899-1900, and the church was restored in 1955 following damage in WWII. The churchyard is simply laid out with grass and some seats, with crazy paving path around the church and a number of trees along the front and side boundaries. The boundary is marked by iron posts and ornamental chain over a low brick wall, a narrow flower bed on one boundary. In c.2004 the western part was laid out in York stone and the enclosing walls renewed, with new trees planted.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
From early times Wandsworth was an important manufacturing centre, and by the C19th industries included drug grinding, snuff milling, silk printing, felt making and calico bleaching. In the C17th and C18th Huguenots fleeing persecution had settled here, and the area became a centre of non-conformist communities.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; LB Wandsworth, Wandsworth Town Conservation Area Character Statement