Coronation Gardens were formally opened by the Mayor of Wandsworth on 4 July 1903 to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII in August 1902. The land had been purchased by the previous Mayor, Sir William Lancaster, who gave it to the people of Wandsworth in perpetuity. The layout has little changed, with original entrance gates on Merton Road; a path flanked by horse chestnut trees leads to a rough hewn granite drinking fountain with Art Nouveau-style bowl and ornamental railings, which was donated by the sisters of the Mayor.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Coronation Gardens were created to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII in August 1902. They were formally opened by the then Mayor of Wandsworth, William Hunt, but the land had been purchased by the previous Mayor, Sir William Lancaster, who was Mayor in 1901-2. Sir William, grandfather to cartoonist Osbert Lancaster, gave the land to the people of Wandsworth in perpetuity and the new park was described in a local paper as the Borough's first park, referring to it as 'Wandsworth's new lungs'. The site was once a notorious piggery. The original wrought-iron gate entrance remains on Merton Road and this was refurbished in 2008. From here an avenue of horse chestnut trees flanks the path leading into the park, at the end of which is a rough hewn granite drinking fountain with Art Nouveau-style bowl and ornamental railings on one side. This has a plaque commemorating the opening of the public gardens and the fact that the fountain was donated by the sisters of the Mayor. From here three paths lead across the gardens, which are largely laid to lawn, having areas of rose beds, shrubs and a number of trees, including mature plane trees. There is a charming early C20th wooden shelter much threatened by vandalism; in the centre is an area of tarmac surrounded by mature plane trees, and in the west footings remain of a small glasshouse and associated buildings, surrounded by hedge. The gardens are bounded to Pirbright Road by railings erected in the 1980s, and are walled on the other three sides, overlooked by buildings.
LB Wandsworth Archives; LB Wandsworth, Coronation Gardens Draft Management Plan 2009-2014 (2009)