Fairlawns was built in 1853, a fine villa with substantial gardens designed by Robert Marnock. After WWII the house was acquired by the LCC and in the early 1950s became a home for the blind and later for the elderly. In 1980 the GLC, who had taken over from the LCC, relinquished the house and it fell into disrepair. In 1984 Hiram Walker International purchased the site and restored the house, but have now vacated and the house is in the process of being adapted as apartments. Today the gardens are severely truncated and the lower area is now part of Windlesham Grove Estate.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Fairlawns is a Victorian villa designed in 1853 by Rawlinson Parkinson for Edwin Saunders (1814-1901), surgeon dentist to Queen Victoria and Edward VII and eminent in the field of dentistry, for which he was knighted in 1883. Parkinson exhibited his plans for the villa at the Royal Academy in 1853; he was later District Surveyor of the Western District of the City of London. The house is in late classical style with two wings, heavy pediments on giant pilasters and a screen of Ionic columns in front of the entrance. It once had substantial gardens, which were designed by Robert Marnock. A contemporary account describes 'a semi circular carriage drive with belts of picturesque trees, evergreens and deciduous shrubs. In the rear of the mansion and grounds were woodlands and pleasant country roads. On the south side is a spacious ornamental conservatory gay with flowering plants at all seasons of the year (. . .) from the terrace at the back of the mansion, the visitor looks down upon a pleasant rose garden'. Following Sir Edwin's death his widow remained here until 1907, after which it was purchased by a Mrs Ganzoni and then by Alfred Robert Faulkner, whose grandfather set up the successful Faulkner's tobacco business. Faulkner lived at Fairlawns until his death in 1939.
'Fairlawns' (Hiram Walker International Ltd, 1986); Wandsworth Conservation and Design Group, 'Putney Heath Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Strategy' (2009)