The Fitzhugh Estate is on land that was once part of Wandsworth Common. An area was enclosed in the 1850s for building the Royal Victoria Patriotic Building (RVPB) to house orphans of the Crimean War, which later became vacant and derelict during the C20th. In September 1951 the LCC acquired the RVPB and adjoining land for educational and housing purposes. The Fitzhugh Estate was built in 1953-55, designed by LCC Architects Department under Oliver Cox, on part of land to south-west of the RVPB, and consists of five 11-storey blocks that were constructed and arranged within the landscape in such a way as to retain existing trees and provide views. The landscaping has not only mature trees but others more recently planted of a variety of species, and a number of shrub and flower beds set into lawns.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 2: South' (Penguin) 1999; LB Wandsworth, Wandsworth Common Conservation Area Character Statement