|Furzedown Recreation Ground||Wandsworth|
Furzedown Recreation Ground was provided by Wandsworth Borough Council and opened in 1924, the name recalling the former heathland here. The area was gradually developed for housing from the late C19th onwards. Furzedown House, a substantial house built c.1800 set in grounds, is now the core of Furzedown Training College near the recreation ground and some remnants of the C19th planting survive. The recreation ground once had a café, two bowling greens, a pitch and putt course, a flower garden and tennis courts.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Furzedown House of c.1800, which stood in its own grounds, was purchased by Philip Flower in 1862, developer of the Park Town Estate in Battersea. The house was extended in the 1860s by James Thomas Knowles, which included the addition of the conservatory and Furzedown Lodge to the north. Furzedown Drive marks the old drive between House and Lodge, the rest of the former grounds largely built over. Numerous buildings were added for the college around Furzedown House, particularly in the 1960s, although some remnants of C19th planting survive.
The recreation ground originally had a café (removed due to vandalism in 2004), two bowling greens, a pitch and putt course, a flower garden and tennis courts. In the mid 1970s the Council installed a playground to the rear of the houses facing Crowborough Road on the Chillerton Road side. In 1977 a number of local residents successfully sought an injunction requiring the Council to limit use of the playground because of nuisance and noise, and required that it be staffed when open; as a result the playground was re-sited in the 1980s. Under the injunction the use of the 5 tennis courts was also limited to tennis, but in 2001 local residents petitioned the Council about lack of provision for youth in the area. This eventually led to amendment of the 1977 injunction in 2004, and redesign of the recreation ground has followed research by a local interest group set up for the purpose, the Furzedown Recreation Ground Management Advisory Committee.
One of the bowling greens was removed in 2002 to become a picnic area, and three of the tennis courts have been improved creating a new ball games area. The southern section is now the Furzedown Recreation Centre, while the northern section is the public recreation ground. In 2006 a small wildlife garden was created, in spring of the same year 15 small fruit trees were planted as a potential teaching resource, and in November of the same year 20,000 daffodil bulbs were planted in grass areas with the assistance of local users and school children.
LB Wandsworth, Streatham Park Conservation Area Character Statement; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; LB Wandsworth Draft Furzedown Recreation Ground Management Plan 2006-2011 (November 2006)