Garratt was a hamlet in the south of the parish of Wandsworth, mentioned in the records of Merton Priory as ‘tenement of the Garrett, manor of Durnsford’ in 1538. Garratt Park was opened as a public park ‘for children’s recreation’ in May 1906. It was laid out on the former grounds of Garratt House, demolished in 1890, which had been owned by the proprietors of Garratt Mills from the C18th. The park is in two parts, a more formal area with lawns and shrubberies, children's playground, cycle track and sports court, and an informal area of open grassland.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The mill stream of Garratt Mills ran along the boundary between the park and the allotments site. To the north of the allotments area there was once an orchard and to the south was the millpond. The land was acquired by the local council for a rubbish dump or 'shoot' and it was initially let out for grazing at £8 a year.
In 1904 it was decided to lay out a recreation ground on the south-east part, at which time another part was taken by Earlsfield Rifle Club for an outdoor rifle range. As the land was low lying and adjacent to the Wandle River a network of ditches had been created over the centuries to contain the water to fend off danger of flooding. In preparation for laying out the park these ditches needed to be filled in and in 1905 clay that was dug out from East Hill, where sewers were being laid, was used here to raise the riverbanks. In 1970 a bend in the Wandle was straightened out as the continuation of flood relief work. Various improvements were made to the park during the 1950s, including installation of seesaws and play equipment in 1953. A paddling pool was replaced with the cinder cycle track in 1955. A games hut was built in 1958 and changing rooms in 1963. The park is in two parts, a more formal part with areas of lawn and shrub beds, the children's playground, cycle track and a sports court, and an informal area of open grassland.
LB Wandsworth, Garratt Park Draft Management Plan 2007-2012 (November 2006)