|Huguenot Burial Ground||Wandsworth|
The Huguenot Burial Ground opened in c.1687 as the burial ground for the French Church, which was located opposite Wandsworth parish church of All Saints. The burial ground was used by the Huguenot refugees who settled in Wandsworth during the C16th and C17th, fleeing France after the Edict of Nantes in 1685. The burial ground later became know as Mount Nod; it was enlarged in 1700 and again in 1735. It was closed for burial in 1854 and in 1896 Mrs Basil Holmes describes it as 'closed and fairly tidy'. It later reopened as a public garden, and contains a number of historic monuments.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The burial ground has railings along the East Hill boundary and walled with spikes above to Huguenot Place. Within the ground is mainly grass, with trees and shrubs around the periphery. It contains a number of historic tombs including those of Peter Paggen (d.1720) of Wandsworth Manor House, and of John Gilham (d.1728). In 1911 a memorial was erected to the memory of the Wandsworth Huguenots 'who had found freedom in Wandsworth to worship God after their own manner. They established important industries and added to the credit and prosperity of the town of their adoption'. At the south end of the burial ground is the former Board of Works offices, built in 1888 by J Newton Dunn, now the headquarters of The Book House. At the east end a footpath separates the burial ground from St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church.
Mrs Basil Holmes, 'The London Burial Grounds', (London: T Fisher Unwin, 1896); Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; LB Wandsworth, Wandsworth Town Conservation Area Character Statement; 'Huguenot Burial Ground Management Plan 2010 - 2015'