|Lambeth Cemetery and Crematorium||Wandsworth|
Lambeth Cemetery was established as additional burial space for the parish of St Mary Lambeth in 1853/4, 12 hectares having been purchased from Samuel Martin of Garratt Lane. The cemetery was laid out on a grid pattern, with brick gothic lodges and chapels designed by Frederick K Wehnert and John Ashdown. The cost of land, layout and buildings amounted to £21,500. In 1874 the Burial Board acquired a further c.4.45 hectares as the need for additional space grew and by 1889 there had been over 109,000 burials here. The Crematorium was added in the 1970s towards the north of the cemetery.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Today the cemetery has well-landscaped areas, paths, trees and grass as well as areas densely packed with graves. Among those buried here are George Galvin, otherwise known as Dan Leno (d.1903), the well known music hall performer; equestrian Thomas Allen (d.1898) whose monument features a riderless horse; and a fine black marble and slate monument for the Smith family, dating from 1932. To the north of the cemetery Summerstown Evangelical Church was built in 1883.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)