|Melrose Road Triangle||Wandsworth|
One of a number of public open spaces that were maintained by Wandsworth Borough Council when the West Hill area was developed as a speculative middle class estate from the mid C19th - early C20th. The sloping land was previously rural and the field pattern still partly defines the estate boundaries; the original estate plan had detached and semi-detached houses laid out on curved roads with triangular greens at main road junctions along the ridge of the hill. Most of the roads of the estate originally had grass verges but now only those adjoining the green at West Hill Road survive. The land for the open space at the junction of Melrose Road and Viewfield Road was acquired by Wandsworth Borough Council in 1895 and laid out as a grass plot with a number of trees and was preserved under the London Squares and Enclosures (Preservation) Act of 1906.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; LB Wandsworth West Hill Road Conservation Area Character Statement