|Putney Park Lane||Wandsworth|
Putney Park Lane may be a remnant of a medieval lane that once provided access to The Pleasance, the site of the Archbishop of Canterbury's Putney Park hunting lodge. The lane was laid out by the early C18th as a formal tree-lined drive for a house built on the site of the former hunting lodge and later became the access to a number of grand houses built here including Granard House, Putney Park House and Dover House. The latter's early C18th entrance lodge remains, now known as Regency Lodge. To the south of the lane at the junction of Putney Park Lane and Putney Heath is South Lodge. Putney Park Lane is now maintained as public open space by LB Wandsworth.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homepage/41/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Towards the north Putney Park Lane runs alongside The Pleasance Open Space, part of Dover Road Estate (q.v.). South of this to the east is St Margaret's Church with a small church garden, built in the mid C19th as a Baptist Chapel. It became a C of E church in c.1912 when it was altered by A G Humphrey, the building further altered in 1925 by Forsyth and Maule.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; LB Wandsworth, Westmead Conservation Area Character Statements; Putney Park Lane Management Plan 2010 - 2015