|Queen Mary's Place||Wandsworth|
Roehampton House was designed by baroque architect Thomas Archer for Thomas Carey in 1710-12 and it was later much enlarged by Edwin Lutyens in 1911-3 for A. M. Grenfell. Lutyens added 3-storey wings and designed the gardens. In 1915 the house became part of Queen Mary's Hospital Roehampton and much of the garden was built over by extensive single storey wings, designed to minimise bomb damage during WWII. The only part of the garden that remained lay immediately behind the Thomas Archer House. In the C21st, part of the former hospital land was sold for development. St James has built a new housing scheme, known as Queen Mary's Place, and restored Lutyens' Sunken Garden and Rose Garden to provide communal gardens for the residents.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/st-james/queen-marys-place
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Roehampton House appears to have been built on or near the site of an earlier house built in 1622-4 by David Papillon, a Huguenot property developer and architect who had begun to purchase land in the area in 1620. He built a number of houses in Roehampton between 1620 and 1625/6 that directly led to the popularity of Roehampton among the wealthy. Papillon's first house, which was built on land known as Upper Naylands, was sold in 1622 to George Heriot, jeweller to James I. Later known as Elm Grove, Heriot's estate is now part of Roehampton University (q.v.). Papillon's next house was called Roehampton Great House, later the site of the Froebel Institute, which he sold in 1625 to Sir Richard Weston, later Earl of Portland. Lord Portland added to the house and grounds, and his estate became known as Roehampton Park, later reduced in size when the late C18th owner, Thomas Parker, began to sell off plots of land for development between 1770-88. By 1624 Papillon had built the smaller house to the east of Roehampton Lane, which was probably on the site of Roehampton House and was occupied by Samuel Neast in 1624. Thomas Cary took a lease on the site in 1710.
Arts Council; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Dorian Gerhold 'Villas and Mansions of Roehampton and Putney Heath' (Wandsworth Historical Society, Wandsworth Paper 9, 1997)