|Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields||Wandsworth|
The Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields is a substantial grassed sports facility that has been owned and managed by the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators since 1925. In the north east corner is a circular hedged area at the centre of which is the War Memorial, an austere stone cross on a circular platform reached by short flights of steps. Around the cross the grass is mown, with a number of mown paths radiating to entrance points created by gaps in the perimeter hedge. The paths are flanked by avenues of trees; aside from the mown paths the grass is allowed to grow long and semi-natural. To the north-east are woodlands part of Putney Heath.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wpcc.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The inscription on the base of the cross provides the war memorial history: 'The land around - 42 acres - is dedicated to public use in memory of all those who having been resident or belonging to families resident in the adjoining districts gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918', on another face is inscribed: 'Nature provides the best monument. The perfecting of the work must be left to the gentle hand of time but each returning spring will bring a fresh tribute to those whom it is desired to keep in everlasting remembrance.' If there were once names around the cross, they no longer exist. The landscaping of the Memorial Garden was designed by Madeline Agar, with Brenda Colvin Clerk of Works.