|St Philip the Apostle Church (St Philip Square)||Wandsworth|
St Philip's Church was built in the centre of St Philip Square as part of the Parktown Estate, a development laid out from 1865 onwards either side of Queenstown Road. St Philip Square was laid out in the early stages of the estate and surrounds the church on three sides. The church was built in 1870 in the centre of the square, set within a raised railed garden that is predominantly grass, with shrubs planted around the church, rose bed, seating and mature London plane trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.wandsworth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The overall layout of the Parktown Estate was planned by developer Philip Flower and designer James Thomas Knowles, son of Sir James Knowles who had laid out the Cedars Estate south of Clapham Common and was one of a number of influential members of a committee of Clapham residents who successfully lobbied for a new road link extending Queens Road (now Queenstown Road) to Clapham from Battersea Park, which linked across the river via the new Chelsea Bridge, built in 1858. The new road was financed by the development of the land for housing. Up until then much of this area had been farmland belonging to Longhedge Farm between Battersea Fields to the north and Clapham Common in the south. Its name derived from the northern boundary hedge along what is now Battersea Park Road.
St Philip Square was laid out in the early stages of the Parktown Estate and surrounds the church on three sides. The Kentish ragstone church was built in 1870, designed by Knowles, and is surrounded by a raised railed garden with two series of steps from Queenstown Road to the church entrance.
LB Wandsworth Parktown Estate Conservation Area Character Statement; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 2: South' (Penguin) 1999