Streatham Cemetery was set up by Streatham Burial Board in 1892. The cemetery has a formal layout with two chapels facing each other on either side of a circular processional route directly opposite the main entrance. The stone lodges and chapels were designed by William Newton-Dunn in the gothic style. Some of the older headstones have now been laid flat. Interesting monuments include the pile of granite blocks on the Krall grave (1903) and Henry Budden's small blue terracotta temple (1907). The cemetery is well planted and there are a number of historically interesting tombs, including that of Sir Wyke Bayliss (d.1905), President of the Royal Society of British Artists.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)