Templeton was built in the late C18th with a new east range added to the house between 1865-94, and later alterations to the south front undertaken for Lady Wimborne, who owned the house in the early C20th. It was built on land of the former estate of Roehampton Park, which was broken up by Thomas Parker, and got its name from its first occupant, Lady Elizabeth Templetown. It had a number of illustrious private owners and in 1930 became a hall of residence for the Froebel Institute. The grounds were once more extensive but in 1932 Roehampton Gate and Roedean Crescent were built over part of the estate. It has a carriage drive to the entrance and formal gardens to the rear.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.templetonestate.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Dorian Gerhold 'Villas and Mansions of Roehampton and Putney Heath' (Wandsworth Historical Society, Wandsworth Paper 9, 1997)