|The Priory Hospital||Wandsworth|
The Priory was one of a number of villas built on the northern part of Roehampton Park after the estate was broken up between 1770-88. Roehampton had become a popular place for the wealthy to build country retreats in the C18th, attracted by the healthy and beautifaul sitution, the attraction no doubt enhanced by the fact that 'adjacent villas being inhabited by families of fashion and distinction' (George Richardson referring to Dover House in 1810). In the latter part of the C19th this exclusivity waned as suburban development was encouraged by the opening of the railways and a number of former villas became institutions of one sort of another. The Priory has been a private nursing home since 1871.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.priorygroup.com/Locations/London/The-Priory-Hospital-Roehampton.aspx
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Priory was built by Thomas Bernard in c.1803, a barrister and philanthropist who was treasurer of the Foundling Hospital, and knighted in 1809. He lived at The Priory until 1811 and the property then had a number of owners. Additions were made to the original house in c.1840 by R L Roumieu and A D Gough for Sir James Knight-Bruce who owned the property from 1838-1866.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Dorian Gerhold 'Villas and Mansions of Roehampton and Putney Heath' (Wandsworth Historical Society, Wandsworth Paper 9, 1997)