Chesham Place is a well-tended triangular garden square laid out in 1831 on land belonging to the Lowndes family. The private garden is overlooked by a row of C19th terraced houses built by Thomas Cubitt that are integral to the original layout. The railings of the square were replaced with wire netting in the C20th. The garden, described in 1928 as 'an attractive ornamental garden', comprises a central lawn with shrubberies of camellias and rhododendrons at the margins.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The bronze statue, 'Great Flora L' (1978) by German sculptor Fritz Koenig was installed outside the extension to the German Embassy in Chatham Place designed by architects Walther and Bea Betz, 1979.
Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950), pp.386-87; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.149, Pevsner, vol. 1, p. 556; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928