Christchurch Gardens is the site of the former burial ground for St Margaret Westminster dating from 1625. Broadway Chapel was built here in 1638-42, replaced in the C19th by Christ Church Westminster. Among those buried in the churchyard were several notorious people. Christ Church was destroyed in the Blitz in 1941 and the site was left as open space until it was converted into a public garden in 1950. There are no monuments remaining but the garden has lawn, a number of mature trees, and some formal landscaping. The Suffragette Monument was erected in 1970 and adjacent to the garden is a bronze statue commemorating Henry Purcell.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land for a burial ground for St Margaret Westminster (q.v.) was given in 1625. In 1638-42 a chapel of ease, Broadway Chapel, was built here, which was later replaced by Christ Church, Westminster built by Sir Ambrose Poynter in 1841-44, from which the garden derives its name. Several notorious people were interred in the churchyard. The church was later destroyed in the Blitz in 1941 and the site left as open space until it was converted into a public garden in 1950. The garden was laid out as a simple grassed plot bounded by a low brick wall with a stone coping, which was formerly surmounted by the iron railings of the church. There are no monuments remaining but several mature trees, a welcome sight in Victoria Street. Adjacent to the garden is a bronze statue commemorating Henry Purcell, 1995, by Glynn Williams and the Suffragette Monument in fibreglass by Edwin Russell, 1970 is set in a paved area that has been re-landscaped with paving, seating and formal planting in 2009/10.
Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950) p.243; Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 6: Westminster', (Yale University Press, 2003), p722/3