Connaught Square was built between 1821-30 as part of S P Cockerell's plan for Tyburnia when the land within the extensive estate owned by the Bishops of London began to be developed in the early C19th. According to the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares the private communal garden was laid out in 1809. In 1928 it was described as an 'oblong area surrounded by a sparse hedge and attractively laid out with well-kept lawn and some fine trees'. Today the garden is surrounded by privet hedge and a wire mesh fence; a perimeter walk follows its oval shape and its mature London plane trees dominate the square.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Bishop of London's large Paddington Estate began after that, with an early masterplan drawn up by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827), the estate surveyor, possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. In 1928 the garden of Connaught Square, still owned by the Paddington Estate Trustees, was provided for the use of residents of adjoining houses and was managed by a Committee of occupants. The expenses of maintenance were assessed proportionately on each house, although the Trustees had the power to undertake maintenance in cases of neglect.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England London 3: North West, (1991, reprinted 1999), p.685; The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, vol. IX, 1989, pp.196-197.