Crewe House is a rare survival in central London of a detached mansion set in its original grounds. Built in the early C18th it was considerably altered in the late C18th and early C19th. Previously known as Wharncliffe House, it was purchased in 1899 by the Marquis of Crewe and renamed Crewe House. In 1937 it became offices for Messrs. Tilling and it is now the Saudi Arabian Embassy, extensively restored for this use by architects Michael Lyell Associates in 1988-90. The house is visible through an ornamental wrought iron screen with gates and lodges at either end, also by Michael Lyell Associates, which replaced a rendered brick wall. The garden within is entirely re-landscaped and is abundantly supplied with dwarf plants.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The house was built in 1730 (Pevsner has 1746/7) by architect Edward Shepherd, but it was considerably altered in the late C18th and early C19th for James Stuart Wortley. In 1937 it was altered once more by H J Starkey when it became offices for Messrs. Tilling. The oldest surviving interior is the double-height front hall of 1911 by Elms & Jupp for the 1st Marquis of Crewe.
Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950) p.202-03; Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 6: Westminster' (Yale University Press, 2003); 'Wonderful London' ed. St John Adcock, vol iii (The Fleetway House, c.1926)