|Forbes House Gardens||Westminster|
Forbes House is a surprisingly large early to mid C19th mansion with a lodge and forecourt. A private residence until the C20th, it was used after WWII by the War Office Institution Club and in 1959 it became the headquarters of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders until 2010. The gardens contained a few good trees but the grounds are largely given over to car parking, especially to the rear. It has now been sold as a private residence.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Forbes House was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as '9 unenterprising terrace-house-like bays of yellow brick, behind a walled forecourt with trees'. The first house was the five left bays, built by Sir Robert Smirke for the 5th Earl of Oxford, the next 3 added in 1824 for the future 3rd Earl Fitzwilliam. The 1st Lord Penrhyn extended the house behind in c.1868 when the cast-iron balcony was probably added. The right bay and arched stone doorcase date from 1912 for the 8th Earl of Granard and his American Countess Beatrice. Nearby are the Caledonian Club of 1912 by Detmar Blow and various early C19th houses.
Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 6: Westminster', (Yale University Press, 2003); Rob Golding 'SMMT sells Forbes House HQ', Just Auto, 11 October 2010