|The Goring Hotel||Westminster|
The Goring hotel has been run by the Goring family since opening on 2 March 1910. It was founded by Otto Richard Goring, who purchased the land from the Duke of Westminster and demolished a public house called The Sun and small houses that had covered the site since at least the 1870s. The new hotel was designed by Giles, Gough & Trollope and was the first hotel where each of its bedrooms had an en-suite bathroom. It was extended north on Beeston Place in 1925-6. The private garden at the rear of the hotel was acquired from the Duke of Westminster in 2005 and has well-kept lawns, shrub borders and mature trees and a number of sculptures. In WWI the hotel was used as the command centre by the Chief of Allied Forces and in WWII the hotel accommodated 150 Polish officers. The hotel has long had connections with royalty, with many famous guests staying here.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.thegoring.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Goring has had many famous guests including members of the royal family, prime ministers and politicians. Lady Randolph Churchill lived at the hotel in 1919 and from 1920-25 the Hon. Violet d'Arcy stayed here. She was Lady in Waiting to Queen Mary, who visited her on a number of occasions. Royal guests included those attending the King's Coronation in 1937, the Norwegian Crown Prince and Princess, and the Crown Prince of Sweden; Princess Eugenie of Greece in 1948; and many members of royalty for the Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953. At the end of WWII the King and Queen came to The Goring with the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, and Prince Charles's Christening Cake was made by Goring pastry chefs. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother made annual visits in the 1970s and '80s as patron of the Injured Jockeys Fund. In 2011 The Goring was where Kate Middleton stayed before her marriage to Prince William on 29 April 2011.
WCC Grosvenor Gardens Conservation Area Audit, 2006; OGSW booklet 2010; history on The Goring hotel website