|Green Street Garden||Westminster|
Green Street Garden was planned and laid out between 1913-6 for the Grosvenor Estate, one of three new gardens created on the estate's land in Mayfair that had previously been occupied by stables and other ancillary buildings. It was part of the 10-year programme drawn up by Estate Surveyor Edmund Wimperis when he was appointed in 1910 and was the first garden to be completed, in its final stages of planning when WWI broke out. Surrounded by tall red-brick apartment blocks, mainly designed by Wimperis and Simpson architects, the garden, inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, was formally laid out with lawns, paved areas and a wide perimeter path in crazy paving, ornamental features and fountains.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.grosvenor-gardens.co.uk/GreenStreetGarden
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The other two gardens laid out for the Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair are South Street Garden and Halkin Street Garden (q.q.v.).
History on Grosvenor Gardens website