|Hyde Park Square||Westminster|
Hyde Park Square was built from 1837 as part of the development of the extensive Paddington Estate of the Bishop of London, which was laid out from the early C19th. The layout of the garden today bears little relation to its early layout and it has been replanted and re-stocked, together with a woodland style area to encourage more wildlife. New gates were erected on the north and west sides in 2005.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Land to the north of Hyde Park was for centuries farmland owned by the Church of England, the area known as Tyburnia after the river Tyburn that flows underground. It was at Tyburn Gallows at Marble Arch that public executions were held until 1783. The development of the Church Commissioners' Hyde Park Estate began soon after, and the early masterplan of Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1754-1827) was possibly begun in 1805 although little was built until the 1820s. Cockerell was succeeded as estate surveyor by George Gutch (c.1790-1874), who modified and intensified the layout, and drew up his 'Final Plan of Tyburnia' in 1838. Hyde Park Square was built from 1837, with the west and south side of the square designed by George Ledwell Taylor (1788-1873) with the exception of three houses of 1843-48. The garden was provided for the private use of residents of the surrounding houses and has notable London plane trees, shrub borders and flower beds, and is surrounded by hedge and mesh fencing. The layout of the garden today bears little relation to its early layout and it has been replanted and re-stocked, together with a woodland style area to encourage more wildlife. New gates were erected on the north and west sides in 2005.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West, (Penguin, 1999 ed), p.685; Gordon Toplis, The History of Tyburnia, Country Life 15, 22 November 1973.