Irving Garden is an area of landscaping that consists of a simple lawn bounded by railings, located immediately behind the National Portrait Gallery and built in c.1890 on the site of Hemmings Row, which was demolished to build the Gallery. It surrounds the statue of the actor-manager Sir Henry Irving by Sir Thomas Brock, erected in 1910. The lawn and railings appears to be a post-war improvement as old photographs show that the area around the statue was once paved. This site has long been known for street performers and is at present the haunt of itinerant portrait artists. Nearby is a mid C19th vent shaft and exuberant lamp standard, and the white marble Edith Cavell Memorial, 1920, by Sir George Frampton.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950), p. 164; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.819