Kildare Gardens is a small town square, part of a development of c.1850-55. The garden was provided for the use of residents of the surrounding houses and was maintained by a Committee of residents. The garden remains in the private ownership of Kildare Gardens Committee although it is now open to the public. Re-landscaping was carried out in the early 1990s and included a serpentine brick path through the garden, which is now part grassed and part brick-paved. The path meanders through the garden from one entrance to a circular seating feature at the other end and a small informal grass area at the heart of the space.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In the early C20th the garden enclosure of Kildare Gardens was in the private ownership of Col. C W Sofer Whitburn and Mrs M F Christie, who also owned the garden enclosure of Kensington Gardens Square (q.v.). In 1928 the garden was described as 'a long narrow enclosure laid out as a lawn and containing a number of trees'. The planting today consists of a number of mature lime trees, with perimeter shrubs that include bamboo, laurel, privet and lauristinus, together with a small area of lawn and bedding displays. The informal shrub and herbaceous planting creates a softer edge around the site boundary formed by recent bow-top railings with the addition of a low wall around the circular seating area.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928