|North Row Buildings||Westminster|
North Row Buildings were built on the Duke of Westminster's Grosvenor Estate as artisan dwellings at the instigation of the St George's Parochial Association. The estate was later acquired by the Peabody Trust. What was formerly a dark central courtyard has recently been transformed into a garden with planting, seating areas and a children's play area.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.peabody.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St George's Parochial Association was founded in 1849 under the presidency of the Marquess of Westminster with the aim of providing artisans' dwellings in the parish of St George's, Hanover Square. It was later known as St George's Workmen's Model Dwellings Association. North Row Buildings were designed in 1887/8 by Robert Henry Burden, who had already built similar dwellings for St George's Association. The estate was later acquired by the Peabody Trust. The Peabody Donation Fund had been founded in 1862 by George Peabody (1795-1869), an American banker, diplomat and philanthropist who had moved to London in 1837. Setting up his fund with a donation of £500,000, a gift that Queen Victoria described as 'wholly without parallel', Peabody's aim was to tackle the poverty and poor housing that he witnessed around him in London. The first Peabody estate was built in Spitalfields in 1864. In the 1950s Peabody began to purchase other existing housing estates, the oldest being Parnell House in Bloomsbury of 1850 built by the Society for Improving the Condition of the Labouring Classes; the Shaftesbury Park Estate in Battersea, built in the 1870s by the Artizans' Labourers' and General Dwellings Company; the Carlton Square Estate in Mile End built in the 1850s by the Pemberton-Barnes family; the Ebury Estate of the 1870s built by the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company; and the Tachbrook Estate (q.v.) in Westminster, built in 1935-47 by Westminster Housing Trust. In 2011 four estates were purchased from the Crown Estate: Cumberland Market Estate, Millbank Estate in Pimlico, Lee Green in Lewisham and Victoria Park Estate in Hackney. A number of estates are LBII: Blackfriars Road, Parnell House, Shadwell and part of Ebury.
The Group currently owns and manages over 19,000 homes in London and runs various community programmes for its residents and neighbourhoods. In 2007 a 10-year programme of major improvements was launched, which includes environmental improvements to the open spaces of around 40 estates, carried out in consultation with the residents. These aim to improve access, safety and security as well as address issues such as waste management, climate change and biodiversity. Soft and hard landscaping, lighting, provision of play areas are among the works and residents' panels work with Peabody to select the landscape architects and other contractors for the programme. At North Row Buildings, what was formerly a dark central courtyard has recently been transformed into a garden with planting, seating areas and a children's play area.
OGSW booklet 2011; Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 6: Westminster' (Yale University Press, 2003)