Queen's Gardens were laid out as three narrow garden enclosures for the private use of occupiers of the surrounding mid C19th houses, and owned by the freeholders of those houses. By 1928 a Garden Committee was established, its members appointed annually at a meeting of the residents, at which time the garden rate for the coming year was also agreed. However it appears that many of the owners did not honour this commitment and 'heavy arrears' were due to the extent that the Committee was considering making payment for upkeep of the garden compulsory. At that time the enclosures were described as 'surrounded by a hedge and laid out with lawns and flower beds'. The long narrow garden, with terraces to north and south, is still in three parts as shown on the 1872 OS Map. It is surrounded by railings and has simple arches over the gates. There are a number of notable lime and plane trees, and oval shrub beds.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928